Monday 8 August 2011

Updating my Podcast blog

Well, I have ventured a bit more into the world of podcasting. Wikipedia states -
A podcast (or non-streamed webcast) is a series of digital media files (either audio or video) that are released episodically and often downloaded through web syndication. The word replaced webcast in common use with the success of the iPod and its role in the rising popularity and innovation of web feeds.
The mode of delivery differentiates podcasting from other means of accessing media files over the Internet, such as direct download, or streamed webcasting. A list of all the audio or video files currently associated with a given series is maintained centrally on the distributor's server as a web feed, and the listener or viewer employs special client application software known as a podcatcher that can access this web feed, check it for updates, and download any new files in the series. This process can be automated so that new files are downloaded automatically. Files are stored locally on the user's computer or other device ready for offline use, giving simple and convenient access to episodic content.
 I have actually found a free podcast webpage called 'Open Culture' http://www.openculture.com/.  It is interesting and I was able to upload this podcast to my Google Reader without any hitches.  Take a look and see what you think about this podcast.  I have looked at it twice and the viewing has been different both times.  I have not finished with podcasting yet, I want to find one more library related podcast that I am pleased with and that I will access at times.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Kerry

    I am really impressed with your succinct description of podcasting. As usual, I am rushing, so will look at the podcast you mention as soon as things settle down a bit. They will one day I am sure.

    ReplyDelete